Image of chandelier light


Stay up-to-date on the latest immigration law news, with the Cohen & Tucker team's insights behind the headlines


A J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa allows qualifying individuals to come to the U.S. to expand their knowledge or learn about U.S. culture. The J-1 visa program is designed to promote knowledge and cultural exchange between the U.S. and other countries through work and education. You can apply for a J-1 visa to participate in an approved program for teaching or lecturing, studying, conducting research, consulting, receiving training, or receiving graduate medical education or training. The programs can last a few weeks or several years. Depending upon the program you participate in, you may be required to return to your home country to live for a period of at least two years upon completing your program. If you are unable or do not wish to return to your home country for two years, you can apply for a waiver. Eligible J-1 visa positions include:

  • Government worker;
  • Physician;
  • Teacher/Professor;
  • Scholar;
  • Research assistant;
  • Student;
  • Au pair;
  • Camp counselor;
  • Trainee; and
  • Specialist

Call us at (212) 840-0050 or complete our form to schedule a free confidential consultation.


Not sure which option is right for you? Request a confidential consultation today.